How should teachers help students?
Some teachers feel that self-motivated students are simple to teach or students who are passionate about learning easily learn more. But how teachers encourage their students. We have shared some tried and true, practiced strategies to keep your students motivated in learning. Our ‘motivation tips for students’ are exclusively designed for teachers so that they can apply these techniques with their students.
Motivation tips for students
- Know the name of your students. Ensure to call them with their names whenever it is needed.
- The class timings and syllabus should be well planned. Do not skip to complete the syllabus as per plans.
- Give importance to the limitations and strengths of each student. Try to improve their weakness and reward their strengths.
- If you want to motivate interaction among students, you can arrange the classroom in a U-shape manner. This way, all the students can interact and also you can teach with every student.
- Ensure to change your instructional strategies. It is recommended to use discussions, demonstrations, lectures, groups, case studies, and more.
- Analyze your student’s learning objectives. Make sure that the students are aware of what they have to learn, know, and do.
- When you are teaching, do not sit in a single place. Keep moving all around the classroom. This way, you would know whether all are showing attention to your lecture.
- Smile and be expressive.
- The classes should be relevant. While teaching, the students should be able to relate your content to the teaching material as well as the world around them.
- It is recommended to teach students by giving a lot of examples and real-life incidents.
- Differ your volume and pitch to add excitement and motivation in your speech.
- Be clear when it comes to setting expectations from your students. Be consistent with the way you are teaching.
- Return tests and assignments to students as early as possible. Offer constructive feedback.
- Ensure to remain available during the break, before the class starts and also after the class. This way, the students can visit you and clarify doubts personally.
- Offer sufficient opportunities for the students to interact and speak in the class.
- Maintain good eye contact. Move towards students when you are interacting with them. When they talk, nod your head and show that you are listening to them.
- Sometimes, their comments and ideas will be incorrect. But still, motivate them to share what they feel. You will not know what the student has understood until you question them.
- Engage your students and ask for feedback on your teaching.
- It is best to plan a 20 minute session as students may find it hard to maintain attention for a long time.
- Ensure to conduct exams that are reliable, valid, and current. The course objectives and assessment should be interlinked.
What you can do apart from motivating students?
Some students may find it hard to learn a concept instantly. For such students, you can teach them personally after school hours. You can give them repeated tests and find out whether they are thorough in that particular concept.
Explore More About : Grow And Flourish With These Mindfulness Tips For Students